Rose Room / Sir Richard Bishop - furiuos

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Rose Room / Sir Richard Bishop - furiuos

Postby stani » Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:40 pm

After playing the guitar for several years in fingerpicking style i now stumbled across all that manouche-style and i´m blown by it from time to time.
One record that got me there is "Salvador Kali" from Sir Richard Bishop (on John Faheys Revenant Records).
Well this is not a pure gypsy swing album and nothing for purist, but in some of the DR infected tunes he captures 100% of gypsy ecstacy.
His version of rose room is so furious and fast as lighting but very mysterious too(as most of the record), it just blows you away.
So I highly recommend that.
By the way I was not able to find the chords for "rose room". Who can help?
Anyone who sells a Selmer copy for low?
stani

Postby Campus Five » Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:52 pm

In Ab:

-Bb7----Eb7-----Ab---------------Ab7--------------Db
| / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / |
-Dbm------------Ab7-----F7------Bb7--------------Eb7
| / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / |
-Bb7-----Eb7----Ab---------------Ab7--------------Db
-Dbm------------Ab7-----F7------Bb7-----Eb7-----Ab
Campus Five

Postby djangology » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:12 pm

I have to say that out of all the gypsy tunes that I can play now, the Rose Room melody is the hardest thing I have ever tried except for the note for note Minor Swing solo... its not that I think that it is technically hard... its just melodically hard... there is something about it that is just plain elusive for me to memorize...
djangology

Postby justjack » Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:21 am

And a version in F:

A: |G7 |C7 |F |F |F7 |F7 |Bb6 |Bb6/9|
B: |Bb6 |Bbm6 |F9 Eb9|D9 |G7 |G7 |C7 |F#7 |
repeat A section
B: |Bb6 |Bbm6 |F9 Eb9|D9 |G7 |C9 |F |F |

It could use some spicing up- a few extra sixths and ninths, and maybe a 7b9, should do it.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Wallace » Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:53 pm

OK, Just for fun...and the rhythm players solo 'praps

| G7 Adim Bbdim G7/B | C7 / B7 C7 | F6/C | F6/C | F9 | F13 F9 |

| Bb6 | Bb6 | Bbm6 | Bbm6 | F/A / C7 C#7 | D7 / / D7/Ab |

| G9 Adim | Bbdim G7/B | C7 C#7 | C7 |

| G7 D7/A Bbdim G7/B | C7 B7 C7 / | F6/C | F6/C | F9 | F13 F9 |

| Bb6 | Bb6 | Bbm6 | Bbm6 | F/A / C7 C#7 | D7 C#7 D7 D7/Ab |

| G9 | C13 | F6 | F6 / / Ab7 |
Wallace

Postby Cuimean » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:07 pm

Benny Goodman thought "Rose Room" was difficult, too...that's why he called the tune when auditioning Charlie Christian for his band. Christian had shown up at John Hammond's behest and Goodman had no interest in hearing an electric guitar player, so he called the tune in order to stump Christian and make him look like a fool. It didn't work.

Personally, I'm not too into Richard Bishop's version of "Rose Room." It's a very unusual take on it, and I credit him for that, but it seems to be a bit outside the range of his ability. I do like his work with the Sun City Girls, however. Very strange and creative music.
Cuimean

Postby stani » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:53 am

Thank you all for the chords. "Rose room" gives me a hard time to figure out, but it´s nevertheless a great pleasure to play.

Richard Bishop is not a "serious" Jazzmusician and there´s no way of comparing his version of the song to serious (idiomatic) versions in terms of technical or improvisational ability but yet his version is what i´d call "effective", thats what counts in first instance IMO.

Another thing regarding Bishops "salvador Kali". Everytime i give it a listen i can´t stand to think that he used tape-speeding to gain more speed on some of those tracks...But it´s just a dim suspicion.
stani

Postby woodshedder » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:25 pm

kinda the same techniquxor Led Zep used to smooth vocals.
woodshedder

Return to Tunes