howdy, we have dates up for gigs in Februrary at our web page:

http://www.swinggitan.com/show/index.html

and we also have a few new mp3s up:

http://www.swinggitan.com/music/index.html
Carter O'Brien

Alfonso Ponticelli & Swing Gitan April gig dates &

Postby Carter O'Brien » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:16 pm

howdy all,

we have our April dates up on the website and we are proud to announce the arrival of Swing Gitan "Caravan" T-shirts, designed by none other than Alfonso & Carlo Ponticelli!

You can see the shirts here:

http://www.swinggitan.com/shop/index.html

And the gig info here:

thanks to everyone for all their support!

Carter
Carter O'Brien

Postby Thrip » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:50 am

Really like your "Rhythme Futur"!
Thrip

Postby Carter O'Brien » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:46 pm

thanks man- the surreal "take me out to the ballgame" Alfonso & Steve spontaneously threw out there was inspired by our hapless Cubbies choking (again) in the clutch... oh, the humanity!
Carter O'Brien

Postby Thrip » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:45 pm

Carter O'Brien wrote:..our hapless Cubbies choking (again) in the clutch... oh, the humanity!

I'm afraid you've lost me there...
Thrip

Postby felixcharlock » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:29 pm

Thrip wrote:
Carter O'Brien wrote:..our hapless Cubbies choking (again) in the clutch... oh, the humanity!

STEVE BARTMAN MUST DIE......

Hey there Carter. I must second Thrips sentiments---the Swing Gitane version of 'Rhthm Futur" is awesome. I have you guys doing it on Archtop Ed's DFNW video. So cool. Your violin player seems to be particularly 'in the moment' for lack of a better phrase. Mind boggling... Am I imagining it or does the theme for 'The Simpsons' make an appearance during this number? Alphonso IS the 'American Hope', IMHO.
If you guys ever hit the east coast, post it here. I would definitely attend. (I'm sure Jack would as well?...) peace out, Jesse
felixcharlock

Postby Carter O'Brien » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:03 pm

Alfonso & Steve usually throw in the Simpsons' theme, sometimes more of it than other times, in addition to lord only knows what! I think a few weeks ago we went into a "classic rock" black hole that featured Alfonso squeezing every popular Hendrix & Jimmy Page lick into about 45 seconds!

I'm pretty sure we'll eventually get on out to the East coast, I know Alfonso wants to help get the Hot Club of NY to Chicago - cross pollenization is definitely for the best!
Carter O'Brien

Postby nwilkins » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:30 pm

Thrip wrote:

It's a baseball reference- the Chicago Cubs 8)
nwilkins

Postby Carter O'Brien » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:54 pm

oh dangit, I missed your post, Thrip, sorry-

I keep forgetting that the main page of this forum takes you to the most recent post, I'm used to the Web X software forums where you go to the most recent post that you haven't actually viewed yet -

and yeah, the Cubs, (oy!) the whole band lives really close to their ball park (Wrigley Field), so we got sucked into the playoff madness!
Carter O'Brien

Postby Thrip » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:14 am

Carter O'Brien wrote:...and yeah, the Cubs, (oy!) the whole band lives really close to their ball park (Wrigley Field), so we got sucked into the playoff madness!

Well, you can't have everything. I live near Brentford Football Club, you see. Jealous, eh?

PS Liked the Bach quote too. I love a bit of musical trainspotting!
Thrip

Postby Thrip » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:45 pm

Oh, and I might have to nick that Simpsons quote off you. Hope you don't mind!
Thrip

Postby Carter O'Brien » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:18 pm

I'm sure the Simpsons' folks won't mind! : )
Carter O'Brien

Chi-town gipsies

Postby pauperbeatnik » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:01 am

Carter - whats the name of the gypsy band you are in and do you have a standing gig (where do you guys play)... there are three gipsy bands in Detroit and i was interested in what was going down in yr neck of the woods... is there a scene, or are you guys lone wolfing it...
pauperbeatnik

Postby nwilkins » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:45 pm

Carter plays in a band called Swing Gitan fronted by Alfonso Ponticelli. You can find out more on the website to which he posted links above. I may be wrong but I believe that Chicago has the next biggest Django scene in the US after Seattle and Portland - is this true?
nwilkins

Postby Carter O'Brien » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:32 pm

howdy gents,

I'd say Chicago has a pretty lively scene going, mostly due to the open jam every Tuesday at a tavern near Wrigley Field called the Ten Cat - a lot of people take one of Alfonso's Django guitar classes at the Old Town School of Folk Music, and the Ten Cat provides a fun atmosphere to give what you've learned a "test drive".

The folks there are all good, if not exceptional players, the only thing wanting is just a better room, acoustically speaking (the main room has a jukebox, and on nights when they have a pool/billiards league it can get hard to hear).

There's also a few other bands here, many of them are not just hot club bands (by that I mean they play electric instruments), but are jazz bands with guitar players who really dig Django - there's enough players that you'll see lineups change often, and folks will sit in a lot, etc.

Thanks for asking about the band, we have regular rotating gigs on Tuesdays, with other gigs as they pop up, usually on weekends.

We have a lot of stuff coming up this summer, I'm waiting on some more details before posting the dates, but if you hit www.swinggitan.com in a week or two the gigs should be up there - Alfonso is also organizing a Chicago Djangofest to occur sometime shortly after the big Djangofest in Seattle/ Whidbey Island.

thanks for the interest, hope to meet some of you all in Samois this year!

Carter

oops, spoke to soon, I got the details I was missing and a whole slew of new dates are up at:

Carter O'Brien

Next

Return to US Gig Listings