"Souping Up" A Gitane DG-255

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

"Souping Up" A Gitane DG-255

Postby GrimFandjango » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:21 am

Well, my thinking brain caught up with my fantisizing brain just in time to stop me from dropping $3000 on a Dupont MD-30. I am sure it would heve been a fabulous guitar...maybe someday.

Anyway I bought a Gitane DG-255 for a very reasonable price with the intention of upgrading some of the hardware (tuners, bridge, tailpiece).

Does anyone have any advice/links fro information on what quality parts are compaitble for the Gitane?

By the way I must say that this guitar really is a diamond in the rough and plays way better than the price tag would suggest.

Thanks.
-The right note is only ever a half step away.
GrimFandjango

Postby frater » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:02 pm

"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
frater

Postby GrimFandjango » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:35 am

Thanks for the info Frater.

I assume that the parts are standard for all "selmac" guitars, so I could buy whichever tuners and tailpiece and the screw holes will match up. Is that a correct assumption?
-The right note is only ever a half step away.
GrimFandjango

Gitane

Postby daveblag » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:30 pm

The supplied tailpiece is a good copy of the original why change it?

If the action is not to your liking, get your guitar shop to check the neck relief and adjust the truss rod if required (most of these guitars need setting up when they come off of the boat !) if the neck is ok you can jack up the bridge (no need to change it!)
The supplied tuners work fine, they do the job but don't look "right"

To make your guitar look as original as possible these need changing--but my friend found the hole centres are just slightly different to the originals and copy replacements!!(if you are going to buy some, find out the exact metric centre measurement of the holes on your headstock and the centre distances on the poles of the set you have chosen)

a fractional adjustment may have to be made (how are you with a drill!!?)

OK get a luthiers advice!

check out the sites below for the hardware, i think the DR range is better than the SB, but the Millers i think are cheaper.

http://www.gypsyguitars.com/accessories.php

http://127.0.0.1:4664/redir?url=http%3A ... ktCk4-cfUA
Good luck
Daveblag
daveblag

Postby jalapeno » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:36 pm

Has anybody added a pickup to a D255 ?

Is a replacement Bigtone bridge significantly better than the numerous stick-on transducers ?
jalapeno

Postby Josh Hegg » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:29 pm

The bigtone will work but it is a bit on the cold side when it comes to tone. Depending on what amp you are using you can get an ok tone from a bigtone. I can tell you that some bigtone style bridges are better then others. There are about 3 designs out there and I follow one in particular with some of my own design for Gitanes. I can build you a "hot bridge" i.e. Bigtone style bridge that will sound good on your Gitane. If you would like more info on having a hot bridge built for your guitar email me at josh@djangobooks.com and we can talk about some options.

Cheers,
Josh
Josh Hegg

Postby jalapeno » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:49 pm

Thanks for the offer - I'm a bit of a newb to Maccaferri/Selmer guitars so I'll mooch about a bit before going the custom route I think.
jalapeno

Postby Josh Hegg » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:32 pm

The problem with many bigtone type pickups is that they change your unplugged tone. They are over built to accommodate the pickup. The hot bridge that I build is not only a great pickup but also a very good sounding acoustic bridge.

Another rout is a pickup that you place on the top plat of your guitar. The Schertler Basic is one such pickup. The down side of many of these is that they are made for a complete system. So to just try and use the pickup does not work the well and you need the pre-amp and amp that goes with the system. This can get expensive. The Up side is that you only need one system for any guitar. So as your guitar collection grows you can use the system. With a bridge pickup you must have one installed to each guitar. When it comes down the the cost the bridge pickup is going to cost less.

Cheers,
Josh
Josh Hegg

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..