Bill Wyman,Albert Lee,Nolan Vid

Welcome to the Hotclub Forum

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

neill

Post by neill »

and before you say it pain, i for one do find the way in which this music evolves and how it relates to other music interesting - whether or not I personally like the outcome.
paynej49

Post by paynej49 »

neill wrote:and before you say it pain, i for one do find the way in which this music evolves and how it relates to other music interesting - whether or not I personally like the outcome.
I wasn't going to say that.
Sorry, Neill. Teddy Dupont goes off on these wild and unfathomable tangents that have nothing to do with anything. Is he supposed to be some kind of a medical doctor? I don't think that he should be handing out medical advice like that.
And yes, it is a constantly evolving music but I don't think that it should be paired up generally with that stagnant Rock industry which is a wholly separate entity both economically and culturally.
There were some, weren't there? David Grisman and his association with Jerry Garcia for example. And I'll say that if Jorma Kaukonen wanted to do a CD of Django I for one would be interested in it.
But generally if the Rock industry is flailingly at a standstill then what Rockers need to do is to rehash their Rock music to see if it can stand on it's own merits. They're the ones who put it there. Now Rock!
Just a few days ago I saw an article in the Boston Globe newspaper about the Rolling Stones and in it the reporter refered to the group as playing "Rock and Roll".
Hardly. They play Rock and to date I have not seen one poster take me up on contacting Jerry Lee Lewis' friend. Go ahead! They'll tell you the same. As a matter of fact people such as Elvis, Jerry Lee were(and are!) very big on making the distinction.
Here's another one: Chip Wilson who is a picker that we get up this way from New Orleans and who has worked closely with Fats Domino. He's on the web and you can ask him yourself.
And now we are supposed to put up with the likes of Vince Gil at Le Q and his rendition of Gypsy Jazz? Please.
Django's music is evolving. And words such as "Modern Music", "Ida Presti", "Herman Hauser" have a lot more...a lot more to do with Django and how he himself evolved his music.
But you won't find those words much on this site. You won't find very many people on this site anyway.
Ganondorf

Post by Ganondorf »

I love all the banter guys but please could you stop using BIG fancy words as i can't keep up. Thanks :D
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

paynej49 wrote: You won't find very many people on this site anyway.

Great! it's like being ex-directory with no-salesmen calling and just the occasional weirdo phoning up.

Teddy IS a Doctor, he's treated some of the stars of this genre. You can imagine how many cases of piles crop up what with everyone sitting on their asses all the time.
paynej49

Post by paynej49 »

Oh, so that's what he's calling himself these days. Well, whatever he is he is NOT a musician.
And what are "cases of piles", please?

Oh, I've got it. Hemorrhoids. Never mind.
Jack Brown's band Swing Caravan will be in town this month on the 14th. Nice band and Jack is a good guitar player. I look foreward to their playing.
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

Fair warning: we occasionally play some Beatles tunes!
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

paynej49 wrote: Well, whatever he is he is NOT a musician.
And I've never claimed to be. However, I do have one slight advantage over yourself relative to this forum in that I do have some understanding of the music of Django Reinhardt and gypsy jazz. Your inevitably unconnected staccato statements give the impression your knowledge has been gleaned from a couple of CD covers. This and other forums has been plagued by people like yourself who appear from nowhere, purport to know everything about the music of Django Reinhardt and then disappear without trace as they move onto another fad.

If you can ever force yourself to write something of relevance and coherence, I would be only to pleased to have a rational debate with you.

You somehow seem oblivious to the fact you are universally derided on this site despite trying to curry favour with the likes of Cabo. That is evident not only from almost all the posted replies to your comments but also everyone who has contacted me directly complaining about you or even asking to have you removed - and if you have any doubt as to why that is then re-read what utter nonsense you wrote HERE. I actually closed that thread to protect you from the vitriolic personal abuse you were receiving from normally placid contributors. After that fiasco, you promised not to return but your life is clearly so vapid and without substance that you are still pestering us.
paynej49 wrote:Oh, I've got it. Hemorrhoids.
Well despite everything, I am sorry to hear that but I can prescribe some excellent cream. It worked like a dream for Cabo.

paynej49 wrote: Jack Brown's band Swing Caravan will be in town this month on the 14th. Nice band and Jack is a good guitar player. I look foreward to their playing.
You have my condolences Jack.
paynej49 wrote:..foreward..
:?
Last edited by Teddy Dupont on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jono

Post by Jono »

paynej49 wrote:Sorry, Neill. Teddy Dupont goes off on these wild and unfathomable tangents that have nothing to do with anything.
...this from the acknowledged master of wild and unfathomable tangents?

:shock:

And by the way, despite what he says and all the p-taking I usually do, Teddy does happen to be a fine musician.
Last edited by Jono on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Jono wrote: Teddy does happen to be a fine musician.
:oops: Aw. Shucks! .....and I do really love your mandolin playing and singing.

I think neill is right about us not clogging up sensible posts with paynej49's rather unhealthy obsession with me so I have set up a thread in the appropriate section for further "discussion" between us. For those interested, click here:- Payne's Corner

However neill, this forum is better noted for it's stupidity than it's gravitas. That's why it's the only one Cabo contributes to.
paynej49

Post by paynej49 »

justjack wrote:Fair warning: we occasionally play some Beatles tunes!
And you use the Gypsy technique also! That's what counts.
Oh, that's not what I'm saying. While you're in town try to get to know Carl Oman who is a fantastic bass player. Years with the Hartford Symphony and likely as not to play Funk, Punk, Blues, Rock etc. He lives at the Eclipse Mill with his wife who is a painter.
The point is how the differences in generes in music are respected. That's what this is all about.
And if you're going to play at the Eclipse then be prepared: you're going to meet some musicians who have a well rounded approach to music.
Knock 'em dead!
paynej49

Post by paynej49 »

I have moved a post from the pain to here where it belongs:-

THE PAIN

Teddy
Nolan

Post by Nolan »

If you'd been in Liverpool sarutday night with your mouth you would have got the xxxx beaten out of you.End of story.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

:lol: yeah man, scouse medicine.
paynej49

Post by paynej49 »

Nolan wrote:If you'd been in Liverpool sarutday night with your mouth you would have got the xxxx beaten out of you.End of story.
Save your hate speech for your next skin-head in fested concert since that's all you seem to be attracting these days. You're going to need it.
In the meantime the people of Liverpool are a people of Peace. And I ought to know: my father, his wife, my brother, his wife and son as well as my Grandparents were all from Cheshire which is only about twelve miles from Liverpool and so I know my Mid Landers well.
Oh, hypochondriacal one. In the words of Django Reinhardt: Let them try.
paynej49

Post by paynej49 »

Caballero wrote::lol: yeah man, scouse medicine.
You're using big words again!