Can anyone HELP!!!

Welcome to the Hotclub Forum

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Geoff Hayward

Can anyone HELP!!!

Post by Geoff Hayward »

Just got the guitar. Is therfe anyone in the Peterborough are who is willing to teach a novice Gypsy Jazz enthusiast some tricks, practise exercises. I'd be obliged if there is!! Many thanks
Geoff
BluesBopHarry

Post by BluesBopHarry »

hey if you don't find a teacher get Denis chang's DVDs they are years worth of material from novice to advanced for the price of a few private lessons.

www.hyperhipmedia.com
neill

Post by neill »

I second BluesBopHarry, loads of great stuff on those DVDS and ... you don't have to keep asking him the same thing over and over again - you can just press back 8)
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I third it - it's pure Changology.
Greg3900

Post by Greg3900 »

The DVD's have lots of great stuff on it explained well - The only thing I would have against it is the elbow action that Denis uses to generate the rhythm. To me it should come more from the wrist.
Ganondorf

Post by Ganondorf »

Wrist action is better :wink:
spatzo

Post by spatzo »

I think that Dennis uses more the gravity concept that gives a delicious sound to his sound. I would like to say it is not - at least for me- just an elbow action but the weight of the forearm that crunches the strings just dropping down after the hand bounces up over the strings. That gives an excellent accentuation of the beats two and four and if the gesture is kind enough it perfectly fits the job!

Stochelo himself indicates that he is an excellent rhythm player and my addition should be a very fast growing solo player.

Of course Nous'che is The Master of wrist pompe as we can see very well in Mario's vidéo on Duke des Lombards gig http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s81A77prCvo
Geoff Hayward

Regarding your help.

Post by Geoff Hayward »

Thankyou for your help regarding my search for some lessons. I will try to get hold of the DVD as soon as I can. I was given some useful books with play along CD's by Robin Nolan when I picked up the guitar. I have also seen some lessons by Romane on you tube which are helpful. I was playing on an old Spanish accoustic for a while but I am getting on alot better now that I have the proper sort. I am concentrating on the rhythm first as I have a mountain of new chord shapes to master. Plus I have all the scales to get to grips with. I am really enjoying playing the tunes so onwards and sideways>>> Thankyou all. (Any further advice gratefully received. Geoff
DennisC

Post by DennisC »

thank you for the nice words guys, I will make sure to arrange a date for each and everyone of you with Scarlett Johansson

re rhythm... my rhythm comes mainly from the wrist, and i use the forearm to give my wrist a better flow. It especially depends on the tempo and style of the song...

For me, on medium tempos, using a little bit of the forearm gives me more control over the wrist so as not to speed up or slow down too much....

on faster songs, i will use more wrist...

nous'che does the same too: check out this medium tempo tune where he has more arm and has a wider range with the wrist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXA-KQH581U

... and finally here's a gift for my friends...

presenting miss Misa Campo

Greg3900

Post by Greg3900 »

Thank you Denis!

No doubt this topic will degenerate into the more normal wrist action type thread thanks to the lovely Misa. :wink:
Phydeaux3

Post by Phydeaux3 »

I'm with Dennis on this one - which is pretty rare for me!!!!
Alors! Un, deux...
Swing This!

Post by Swing This! »

DennisC wrote: ... and finally here's a gift for my friends...

presenting miss Misa Campo
That pic of Misa Campo isn't helping my right hand technique! :lol: