New Cigano GJ 10 problems

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Ahab

New Cigano GJ 10 problems

Post by Ahab »

Ok, first of all I would like to apologise if anything I say here has been said before, but I've searched a bit and would just like some/advice feedback if at all possible. In addition I'd like to point out that I am relative novice when it comes to the setup of Selmacs, so I apologise in advance if I say anything that's a bit obvious.

I bought a new Cigano GJ 10 from a reputable dealer after trying quite a few "entry-level" guitars, and after a bit of research on the net, and hearing the positive things that people had to say about them I'd take the plunge. I tried out about three different Ciganos, and the one I chose seemed to have the nicest tone. I can't say exactly why, it just seemed to sound the most musical to my ears. The dealer said that it would come with a full set-up and new strings (Argentines) and when I arranged to pick the guitar up, I waited with their on-site tech whilst he set it up. There were a couple of issues: there was no neck relief, a couple of grooves in the bridge needed filing down a touch so that the string fitted a little more snugly. Intonation-wise the guitar was fine, and it sounded good. The action is just over 3mm at the 12th fret. He adjusted the truss-rod, and gave the frets a polish. I checked the strings to see if there were any rattles or buzzes on any of the frets, and on the D string it buzzed all from about the first fret to the sixth. He said that it could just be the string. Hmmm...

Anyway, I took the guitar home, and I had a look at the neck relief, and I gave it a little tweak, a pretty small turn about an eighth. I just felt that the action was a little stiff, and the neck relief was still ok. After a couple of days of playing, I went through 3 top E strings, I think the problem is with hole in the tuning peg. There's a very sharp edge there, has anyone experienced a similar problem? The D string also broke, and after replacing it with a new string, it still buzzes. Very annoying. All along the botton 3 strings at the bottom end of the neck it seems there's fret buzz. So I've taken it back, and they said that the frets probably need leveling/dressing. I know it's a budget guitar, but surely the quality control should be a bit better? I thought I was buying a gypsy jazz guitar, not a sitar!

I suppose what I'd like to know is, how culpable the shop is? Should they have sold me a guitar that had those issues? Are there problems like that with these guitars? Despite the problems I've had with it, I really like it, it's very loud, and it sounds like a gypsy jazz guitar should sound. It's a lot of fun to play.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

You are quite within your rights to exchange or get a refund. If I were you I'd try another of the same model to compare - sounds like a duffer. I once had a Gitane with sharp edges in the top E tuning peg and found that putting a small piece of electrical wire insulation through the hole and then your string through that, solved it. However I would expect the guitar to be playable whatever the price/model.
Ahab

Post by Ahab »

Thanks ricardo although I wish I'd read this earlier, well, the shop said they'd do the fret dressing free and adjust the tuning peg. Still, I wonder if I could just exchange it? They do have another in store.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Well just make sure you are completely happy with the guitar when it is done. If not go for an exchange. Good luck!
Ahab

Post by Ahab »

I got the guitar back a couple of days ago, and I'm very happy with it now. The luthier did an excellent job levelling and dressing the frets - they look amazing. They're all very even and fretting is very nice now. I've been able to take the action down a bit, just under 3mms at the 12th fret, and it's quite easy to play. The only complaint I have, but I understand that this is a problem on all cheap Selmacs, is this reverby type effect you get on certain notes. It's like the guitar's resonating. I assume that is to do with the construction of the sound box, but if anyone knows anything else about this I'd be greatful to hear what you have to say.

Also, they restrung it D'Addario Gypsy Jazz mediums, and man, what a difference! The tech was very impressed with them too, and he said that they were much better constructed and felt a lot a better. When I first got it they first put on some Gitane strings, of which I broke a top E and a D, and they went dead in about a day. I changed on to the Argentines. Good, but one of those was dead, and they'd put to As in the pack and no D. I've had the D'Addarios on for two days now, and although they've lost that spanky newness, they've still very lively and and at a distance they look white and new. Big thumbs up from me.

I know that these things are subjective, but as I'm an unbiased beginner, the D'Addarios won hands down. I think though I might go for the 10s next time. Are they any good, are they more suitable for the longer scale petit bouche which I own?
MikeMEnglish

Re: New Cigano GJ 10 problems

Post by MikeMEnglish »

Hi, I didn't know about this problem, Thanks for sharing these problems with us. Well, right now, I am badly stuck in my college assignment and And I am thinking about hiring an essay writer to do my assignment, If you know any best site where I can get this then please let me know.