Whats happening on the Gypsy Jazz Scene today

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

lets rent a big house for two days.
pinkgary

Post by pinkgary »

I (obviously) say warwickshire, 'cos it's right close to me (and in the middle of the country for those up north), but, i'll travel anywhere. What's an extra hour or two on the motorway? Not a lot really!! So, my vote goes for where ever the most people will attend, or what ever the nicest venue/cottage/farm is.
Keep music Evil
Mobreau

Post by Mobreau »

Good good. Mr Hepbir, we are renting a house for two days!!!?? but i think I know what you mean. Your guess is as good as mine as to how we go about that, c'mon man, send us some links, pronto! or your ass is in the cider barrel with everyone else :P
stublag

Post by stublag »

Dorsets a pig to get to but very nice of course---my vote would be for London--its the easiest location to get to and i'm sure a venue would be easy to find---i can understand though if people would prefer a more holiday rural like setting.
Gadjo

Post by Gadjo »

This is becoming interesting!

A couple of years ago I did a similar weekend as a guest of an acoustic guitar web community. What they did was every year book a large rural house with accommodation used by the walking types. They underwrote it by taking money off the web group in advance and got in copious barrels of ale, professional caterers, guest performers and speakers plus luthiers (all of whom paid to be there).

This was their venue http://www.hargate-hall.co.uk/

A great weekend was had by all. It really was a huge success.
Gadjo

Post by Gadjo »

Just found the web group..

For more info on the RMMGA check them out at www.RMMGA.org or take a look at the newsgroup on Usenet:

May be just easier to join them the way we're shaping up re this?
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Dorset is quite insane. Far too far south. It either has to be a central location or London.

Also the idea of being stuck in a house with you lot is quite repulsive.:shock: If it were my place, I would want at least a £10k deposit. :roll:
Mobreau

Post by Mobreau »

O.K, Well if we are looking at central locations and we seem to be leaning towrds the south, yes London seems the obvious choice. But what does that mean? hiring a venue for an evening and all having a play? we might aswell all go down the Q on a tuesday Night! and I guess that takes out some of the incentive to do it for people further a field, defeating the object of the project. :cry:
Mobreau

Post by Mobreau »

As for Dorset being to far away?!! C'mon Teddy and anybody else who thinks it is too far, how British can we be for gods sake! have you seen how far these American guys travel just for an evening jam session or gig sometimes? They make us look like proper pussy's! When i used to live in Derbyshire and was skint, i still used to get on a national express coach and pile down to the Q for whatever gig was on, even sometimes just to watch the jam seesion, I could barely play a chord properly at the time.
pinkgary

Post by pinkgary »

Indeed, no where is that far away, but all roads do lead to london! It's far easier (and cheaper) to get to london than anywhere else, from pretty much anywhere in the country (public transport wise), but indeed, not driving wise.... I guess that has to be weighed against how much more expensive it is to hire a big pad for everyone to stay in and play in for a few days in london compared to the sticks (dorset) :wink:

Google says it takes 2h 53mins to drive to dorset (sherborne) and 2h 20mins to drive to london from brum so, really what's the fuss about for 33 mins?

(for Teddy) From Leamington 1h 53= london 2h 52= Sherborne. It's still only an hour difference (and a much more pleasant drive)

I'm sure we can do car sharing, or ferrying folk from train stations, and all that cal.
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Post by pinkgary »

But i do still maintain that the middlands is fairer for the northerners and the southerners. Birmingham is only a 3 hour drive from pretty much anywhere (apart from the extremes of the country, and if you live there, you must be used to long drives).
Keep music Evil
neill

Post by neill »

i like the idea of ging somewhere nice - kinda pretty and rural if you know what i mean... i also think that dorset may be a bit south-centric however - what about somewhere like the cotswolds? herefordshire? even wales? the cottage/ country bit seems like a good idea to me.. just think that in a city there would be no respite and lots of traffic etc all the time - i think it would be nice to be able to step outside and breathe fresh air, look at pleasant scenery etc and maybe even go for a walk.. i know we're supposed to be indoors all pomping like crazy the whole time but it might give people like teddy dupont time to have a breather from our repulsiveness for a while... :)
Mobreau

Post by Mobreau »

Yep, I still think countryside retreat sounds far more appealing even if it is a bit more effort. What if we go for somewhere either approx 50 miles from london or 50 miles from Brum, maybe less? two places that are easy to get to.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

:roll: what if one of us is a mass-murderer? Do we come tooled up , just in case?
Brett

Post by Brett »

Caballero wrote::roll: what if one of us is a mass-murderer? Do we come tooled up , just in case?
Fear not!
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2010/09/27/t ... le-poirot/