Naguine

Discussion on Django and his contemporaries

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

neill

Naguine

Post by neill »

Forgive my ignorance, but can anyone enlighten me on what happened to Naguine? I've read a fair bit of the easily available literature on Django but, aside from the fact that she got more involved in the church, I don't know much more.. I just wondered how old she was when she died and what she did for the rest of her life after Django - did she ever meet her grandson David? perhaps I'm just being nosy.. thanks for any info - I'm just curious thats all..
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

You fancied her.
neill

Post by neill »

oh hell yeah.. well if nobody knows my fantasies can continue.. thank you. :lol:
pinkgary

Post by pinkgary »

My guess is she's locked in your cellar with a red ball gag in her mouth...
Keep music Evil
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

I have never seen a definitive account of what happened to Nagiune but it appears that after Django died her life took a serious turn for the worse.

She and Babik went back to Paris in their caravan but then moved to a squalid apartment in the slum area of Montmartre. It is claimed that when Les Paul met her soon after Django died, he was so upset by Naguine and Babik's poverty stricken state that he put pressure on the record companies to pay her Django's outstanding royalty payments and to re-instate these payments for the future.

It seems she became something of a drunkard and developed diabetes resulting in a sustained deterioration in her health. However, around 1963, she became involved with a gypsy church called "La Mission" and according to Dregni, was baptized by them in 1964 and was quoted in the church magazine as saying "I was alone. Now I have found peace".

I do not seem to have anything substantive on her after that time and although I cannot, at the moment, find exactly when she died, I think it highly unlikely she ever saw David Reinhardt.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Here she is with Babik apparently back in a caravan around 1963:-
pinkgary

Post by pinkgary »

Thanks Teddy, I'm sure that's far more like the response neil's after... Excellent photo (again), where do they all come from?
Keep music Evil
B25Gib

Great Photo!

Post by B25Gib »

Thanks for Posting! -
The suave looking chap in the foreground with the suit & tie is the same "Unknown" violin (viola?) musician on the cover photo and back photo of the booklet accompaning the cd "Manouche Partie". But, another photo from that cd "booklet" shows Joe Privat looking directly at this "Unknown" musician sitting next to him on the steps of the caravan. "Who the Hell is this guy"?
Rocky
neill

Post by neill »

Yes, thanks very much Teddy, that is the kind of information I was looking for.. (in my cellar a la pulp fiction / because i fancy her :roll: :roll: :lol: ) It seems then that as much as I've read is as much is as known. You can really see the family line in your pic as you can see both Django and Naguine in Babik and also pictures of David now bear a strong resemblance to the young Babik. Thanks again Teddy - I'm just interested to know all sides of the story..
Brett

Post by Brett »

Teddy Dupont wrote:Here she is with Babik apparently back in a caravan around 1963:-
I think that must be a publicity shot. It can't possibly take that many people to pull a caravan.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Here is a copy of the photo that appears on the record cover above. In addition to Naguine, Babik and Privat, there is also Jacques Montagne and Matelot Ferret:-

Jono

Post by Jono »

pinkgary wrote:Excellent photo (again), where do they all come from?
You mean you didn't know? Teddy took them all himself. That's why he's never in any of them.
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

I've just found some information that indicates Naguine was alive in 1968 and living in a caravan next to Lousson on a small island near Charenton. There were apparently no signs of her being a drunkard at that time.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

........and she died in 1971 aged 60.
François RAVEZ

Post by François RAVEZ »

The suave looking chap in the foreground with the suit & tie is the same "Unknown" violin (viola?) musician on the cover photo and back photo of the booklet accompaning the cd "Manouche Partie". But, another photo from that cd "booklet" shows Joe Privat looking directly at this "Unknown" musician sitting next to him on the steps of the caravan. "Who the Hell is this guy"?
Rocky
In the booklet inside the CD "Manouche Partie" François Billard says "No one remembers his name". In "La Valse Musette et l'Accordéon" by Alphonse Boudard and Marcel Azzola he appears on the caption of the photo as "Jo Privat's brother in law Jean".

Best

François RAVEZ
Attachments
Brother in law.JPG