Fact or Fantasy

Discussion on Django and his contemporaries

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Teddy Dupont

Fact or Fantasy

Post by Teddy Dupont »

"Oscar Aleman was dining at Pigalle?s La Cloche d?Or after he played in a Josephine Baker show when one of Django?s band members came in, in a rush and asked if he could help, because all strings of Django?s guitar were broken. Aleman always had a spare set and gave it to the man: ?Here give it to Django and say Bon Soir from me?. Several nights later, Oscar dined in the same restaurant and when he wanted to pay the bill, Django had paid it all to thank him."

Thrip

Re: Fact or Fantasy

Post by Thrip »

Fantasy
Teddy Dupont wrote: because all strings of Django?s guitar were broken.
Unlikely that they were all broken, a bit old and rusty, perhaps.
pinkgary

Post by pinkgary »

Fantasy..

Django would have expected other people to give him strings, "I'm Django, you are a mere mortal", I don't think he would have even thought to thank someone with dinner for having the honour of giving him some strings..
Keep music Evil
neill

Post by neill »

I suspect a little of both.. lovely story if true but could well be largely exaggerated and sentimentalised.. i'm only guessing though because I have no idea whether its really true or not.. does anyone else?
Thrip

Post by Thrip »

We know Django wasn't too bothered about money, when he had it he spent it quite frivolously, so it's entirely possible.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Post by Caballero »

I have a great fantasy that involves loads of fit birds and large amounts of agent provocateur underwear.
Jono

Post by Jono »

Caballero wrote:I have a great fantasy that involves loads of fit birds and large amounts of agent provocateur underwear.
Are they wearing the AP underwear or are you? Actually, come to think of it, I don't want to know. I just had a disgusting mental image of you in stiletto Vans.

Back to the thread, if he had the cash at the time, then paying for the meal seems typically flamboyant, but even if he had broken 'all' his strings, assuming it was in the Quintette days, I imagine that he'd simply have requisitioned one of the other guitarists' instruments.
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

.................................................................................Django & Oscar?

lnb

Post by lnb »

who gives a monkeys.
FRET AND FIDDLE

www.fretandfiddle.co.uk

"The only way to beat temptation is to give in to it!"
Rene

Post by Rene »

Blimey Inb ! That's a bit blunt. Are the hireboats getting on your nerves?
lnb

Post by lnb »

Rene wrote:Blimey Inb ! That's a bit blunt. Are the hireboats getting on your nerves?
No the bloody inconsiderate fishermen why do they clear up their mess put it into plastic bags then instead of taking it home they just tie it on the fence. Then just to top everything off a canadian goose just went and drowned all 11 mallard ducklings that just hatched a couple of days ago..F@@K....Goose for lunch tomorrow me thinks.
FRET AND FIDDLE

www.fretandfiddle.co.uk

"The only way to beat temptation is to give in to it!"
Rene

Post by Rene »

Ha! It's a strange hobby, fishing. Most of them seem determined to spend a fortune on equipment in an attempt to minimise on the skills required. Hmmm.