Django in Devon

Discussion on Django and his contemporaries

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Ricardo

Django in Devon

Post by Ricardo »

I had a jam with a guy yesterday who used to know and play with Diz Disley and Etheridge back in the old days - sadly Diz is very unwell apparently - He was telling me an anecdote which Diz recounted, which came from Stephane. Apparently Stephane had a cottage in Devon at one time and Django went to stay there. On a walk in the country Django spotted a chicken in a nearby farm entrance and proceeded to grab it, break it's neck and then stuff it under his arm to take home for supper. I wonder if there is any creedance to this tale..... Teddy?
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

It's a story that Steph has told several times so I think the basis of it is almost certainly true. Catching a chicken in this way would have been totally natural to Django.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Do you know where this cottage was in Devon?
Teddy Dupont

Post by Teddy Dupont »

Ricardo wrote:Do you know where this cottage was in Devon?
Lustleigh, Newton Abbot. His cottage was called "Underwood". He first went to Devon in 1941 to recuperate from his kidney problems.
Harry-Dippo

Re: Django in Devon

Post by Harry-Dippo »

I just happened to be browsing this forum when I came across this thread.

I couldn't believe it, Grapelli's old house is a mere walking distance from mine! What a weird coincidence
I would have never have thought it and as a keen player and Django lover its really interesting
Thanks for sharing this gem of information, I may well have to visit the people that live there to find out if they know any more
Happy gypsy jazz playing to all!
Harry